Wednesday, November 16, 2011

It's The Little Things...

I was at work this morning and I had to mark the ends of some of the trays we use to hold the mail. I went to my desk, where my sorting rack is, and scooped up the big black, square-tipped permanent ink marker I use to mark hew tape labels I put on my hold bins. I went back across the floor to the trays I was working with and did my marking.
Marking done, I strolled back across the floor to put the marker away. As I reached out with my left hand to open the drawer in my desk, I noticed a dark black spot on the tip of my index finger. I held up my hand to look at it.
There was a nice thick black oval on the tip of my finger, a perfect oval except for the very tip of my finger, right by the nail. Right there next to the nail, it was smudged.
What the ... oh no!
I thought back to my walk across the floor. Hadn't my face been itchy? It was so hard to remember, I mean, you itch, you scratch, it's reflexive. I couldn't specifically recall breathing as I crossed the floor either, but I was pretty dang sure I had done it! Had I scratched my face as well? Try as I might, I couldn't remember.
One of my co-workers, ME was walking by.
"Hey," I said. "Look here for me, would you?"
I pointed to the side of my face, and he peered closely at me as I explained.
"I have this ink on my fingertip, and I think I might have scratched my face. I don't want to walk around looking like an idiot for the rest of the day."
ME smiled and shook his head.
"Nope. You're good."
"Whew! Thanks, I mean look," I held up the marker so he could see the words imprinted on the side.

Permanent Marker


"This wouldn't have washed off, I'd have walked around looking like an idiot for a week!"
He just smiled and shook his head again as he walked away.
I finished sorting my mail, and pulled it all down, getting it ready for delivery. I loaded it into a hamper, and wheeled it out of the building and down the ramp to the parking lot so I could get it in my truck. I walked over to my mail truck and started to open the driver's side door, but I stopped dead, key extended.
The day was overcast, and the gray sky was reflected in the big square window built into the side door of my truck, turning it into a slightly foggy but otherwise perfect mirror. There, reflected in the mirror of my window, was a letter carrier dressed and ready for the road. He had his arm outstretched, key pinched between his fingers and aimed at the door lock.
And he had a nice black line running up the side of his face.

Yup. That's my buddy when he's bored...

Talk to you later.
I'm going to go wash my face.
Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment