Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Caffeinated!

I've been up late all this week, even for me. Usually after 2 am, and I'm still getting up at 6 am to write - I'm trying to get the next Sci-Fi story out for handsome before NaNoWriMo starts, in just 6 days.
Yeah, the blogs are going to get sparse then. I'll just lack the time...
So anyway, I'm running on slightly shortened sleep, which for me is an iffy thing since I tend to run a bit lean in that vein anyway. So this morning as I drove in to work, rather than wash my breakfast down with a regular old flavored water, I had a Hydrive. Plenty of orangy flavor with only 30 calories.

Oh, and 145mg of caffeine.

Huzzah!

So a little while after I got to work, things just seemed to ...slow...down...
So I tried to perk things up! I was sorting my mail like a demon, and I started singing along with the radio. Loud. Then a song came on the radio that I didn't know the words to, so i just started singing the one that was running through my head. Loud. I think at that point it was the theme to Gilligan's Island, but I'm not sure. As I'm writing this I realize that my memory of this morning is a little blurry. In spots. BIG spots.
So anyway, I was singing, and dancing a little. At least I think I was dancing. Either that or my legs had fallen asleep and I was walking way funny. I sang a little Country, a little Rock, and more Gilligan's Island, sometimes with what was on the radio, but most times not. I'm pretty sure the Gilligan's Island is a not.
All of it loud.
Usually, I sing like a bird.
Wait - a crow is a bird, right? Good.
Yes, usually I sing like a bird, but at the moment I have a bit of a cold so it sounded a bit rough. But I still had volume!

The next thing I know, there's a tap on my shoulder. I looked over and there was B.M., one of my co-workers standing next to me.
"Rob," he said, right into my face, "are you alright?"
"I'm running on like 9 hours of sleep for the past three nights combined," I said. He looked concerned.
"And I had a bunch of caffeine this morning!"
He stared at me for a second, then leaned in even closer, enunciating each word carefully so I'd be sure to understand.
"Don't."
"Do."
"That."
"Again."
He turned and walked back toward his bench, but only got half-way there before he spun to face me again.
"Ever!"
He returned to his bench.

Killjoy.

Talk to you later.




"Juuuuust sit right there and you'll hear a tale, the tale of a fateful trip! That started from this tropic port, aboard this ti-ny ship! The Mate was a mighty sailing man..."

No comments:

Post a Comment